Welcome to pyModis
pyModis is a Free and Open Source Python based library to work with MODIS data.
It offers bulk-download for user selected time ranges, mosaicking of MODIS tiles,
and the reprojection from Sinusoidal to other projections, convert HDF format to
other formats and the extraction of data quality information.
pyModis library was developed to replace old bash scripts developed by Markus
Neteler to download MODIS data from NASA FTP server. It is very useful for
GIS and Remote Sensing Platform of Fondazione Edmund Mach to update
its large collection of MODIS data.
It has several features:
- for downloading large numbers of MODIS HDF/XML files and for using
it in a cron job for continuous automated updating; it
supports both FTP and HTTP NASA repositories
- parses the XML file to obtain information about the HDF files
- converts a HDF MODIS file to GEOTIFF format by either using MODIS Reprojection Tool
or GDAL (pyModis >= 1.0)
- creates a mosaic of several tiles by either using MODIS Reprojection Tool or
GDAL (pyModis >= 1.0)
- creates the XML metadata file with the information of all tiles used for the mosaic
- extracts specific information from bit-encoded MODIS quality assessment layers
of different product types
- Graphical User Interface for each script written in wxPython (pyModis >= 1.0)
We acknowledge the Fondazione Edmund Mach for promoting the development of
free and open source software.